Saturday, November 28, 2020

A Feast for Friends

Today I am sharing a Thanksgiving photograph from 49 years ago.

I was obviously taking great delight in carving the holiday turkey to celebrate Thanksgiving 1971 in Freiburg im Bresigau, West Germany where I was attending university.  The turkey was compliments of a kind soul I knew at the American post exchange at Patch Barracks, in Stuttgart.  It was a proper feast with a long table covered with the bird and all of the traditional trimmings and dishes along with a few local German offerings to round it out.  A little reminder of families and friends back home in America shared with new German friends.

Thanksgiving is not just about turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, or pumpkin pie.  It is for remembering families and friends, both old and new, and being grateful for it all.  It was a fine meal, but it was the friends who made the feast.

I hope yours was a safe and memorable holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment