Saturday, March 21, 2009

Entr'acte II - On a Short Springtime Hiatus

Since my last posting on March 8 - “A Visit to the Banks of Plum Creek” - I have been on an unexpected hiatus without time to consider and write about the random thoughts that continue to run through my head. Is it spring fever? I think that might be part of it. It may also be the result of the sudden realization that today I am one step closer to what William Least Heat-Moon referred to as “geezerdom.” Not quite sure how to take this, but I guess I will just grit my teeth and bear down.

There is one bright note, however. This is the first full day of spring and here in Maryland the signs of the new season are everywhere. The forsythia is in full bloom and the crocuses and daffodils are peeking out in our garden. Some of the cherry trees here and just over the border in DC are budding and they say we will be at peak blossom time around April 1 . . . a few days earlier than expected due to the recent warmer nighttime temperatures.

I am working on a piece about the American bison which I had originally planned to post last weekend before this unforeseen interruption in my routine descended on me. So stay tuned . . . that will be appearing here very soon. Things have a tendency to pile up for all of us, and sometimes the best thing to do is to step back and then either throw the Hail Mary . . . or punt. We’ll see what happens.

In the meantime, I wish all of my readers a happy and healthy spring season. Get out there and walk, ride your bike, enjoy a backyard barbeque (bison is good for you!), and hopefully I will be back in the saddle in the next couple of weeks. Here are a couple of pictures Sally Ann and I took in the backyard this week. Spring is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment