Thursday, July 4, 2013

What the Fourth of July is All About - Dispatches from Maine

This morning I participated in the annual reading of the Declaration of Independence at the History Barn located behind the New Gloucester (Maine) Meeting House in the Lower Village.  As a regular summer resident of the town, I was honored to be a part of this fine tradition marking the day we celebrate our revocation of British tyranny.  I think every American should read this document from time to time to remind ourselves of the promises we made as a nation and its citizenry over two centuries ago.  I fear we have strayed far from many of the freedoms and rights granted to us by our forefathers.  

I wish everyone a festive and safe holiday among family and friends.  And as you celebrate, take a look through the Declaration of Independence.   These are good words that deserve our attention and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment