Monday, June 18, 2018

i'm Back and the Pot is Bubbling Over

A Hemingway Reflection - Port Clyde, Maine
I have been on a somewhat forced hiatus for the past three months while I addressed some pressing health concerns.  Fortunately things are returning to normal although slower that I had hoped.

But all is not lost.  I have used this time to catch up on my reading.  I focused most of that attention on Hemingway’s oeuvre, both his own works in addition to important secondary works on a variety of related topics, including but not limited to his fishing and hunting, his activities during both world wars, and his reportage during the Spanish Civil War.  I even read a book on the various alcohol concoctions that appear throughout his work . . . an tried a couple to keep it real.  I want to view and comprehend his terroir, the flavors and smells of the regions he wrote about - Michigan, Paris and France, Italy, Spain, Key West, Cuba, and Wyoming.   Hard to believe that when Hemingway was my age he had been dead for five years!  A sobering thought.

I also worked through two more drafts of my own novel-in-progress. I’m finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.  (My reading of Hemingway has facilitated this undertaking)  As a result, however, this blog, despite my best intentions, has taken a back seat to other projects and life’s necessities.  But I am back now, the pot is bubbling over and about to spill forth on a host of topics as we prepare to head north again for our annual summer respite at the lake in Maine.   I hope to find plenty of time there to catch up on so many projects and plans, including new postings here.  So stay tuned.  More is on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment