Monday, May 11, 2020

Eating Vicariously III - Shagga Ethiopian

My "Eating Vicariously" series is a romp through some interesting local eating establishments in the Washington, DC area . . . places I would like to be eating at right now if that were possible during the COVID-19 pandemic. I certainly plan to visit these places and others once this crisis is over and we are able to return to some degree of normalcy . . . whatever that will look like. 

One of my favorite local eating spots is Shagga Coffee and Ethiopian Restaurant located at 6040 Baltimore Avenue, in Hyattsville, Maryland. I remember back in the day when this space was occupied by a Dunkin’ Donut shop with full counter service; a place where locals could stop in the morning for a donut or two and a couple cups of coffee and to share the latest town gossip. It was sad to see it close, but I was equally excited to learn that an Ethiopian restaurant would move into the space. There is nothing fancy or ground breaking here, but how fortunate to have my favorite traditional Ethiopian dishes just five minutes from where I live. The good folks at Shagga follow recipes that have been handed down for generations. It is honest to goodness Ethiopian cuisine at its finest and I probably eat here more often than any other traditional restaurant in the area. And that is saying something right there. 

I am drawn mainly to the fact that Shagga is so close and it serves two distinct versions of yebeg tibs, one of my all-time favorite dishes. The regular version consists of lean cubes pf lamb sauteed in onions, green peppers and herbed niter kibbeh. The alternative version of is fueled with the addition of tomatoes and herbed pepper awaze chile sauce. Shagga also offers yebeg wat, a lamb stew simmered in berbere sauce along with onions, spices and niter kibbeh, and yebeg alicha which is lamb simmered in a mild herbed niter kibbeh sauce with onions, garlic and ginger. And I never pass on the three versions of kitfo – the orthodox version of extra lean beef, seasoned with hot chili powder and herbed butter served raw, medium or well-done – as well as adaptations including homemade spiced cheese or onion and jalapeños peppers. They are all excellent. To top it off, the folks who run Shagga are as friendly as they can be. What more does one need?
I have missed my frequent visits to Shagga since the onset of the COVID-19 and I feared that an extended closure might prove fatal. So you can imagine my joy when the owners recently announced that they are remaining open for delivery and take-away orders. Like other restaurants in our area and elsewhere, Shagga is also offering gifts cards which is a great way to support these establishments by providing them with the cash flow they need to stay open and viable, and which can be redeemed once the pandemic is over and the restaurants are back on a more solid footing. Or just consider them as good investments.

Luckily, in the case of Shagga, I will not be forced to eat vicariously. I plan to order a take-away meal this week, and will continue this weekly practice until the pandemic is just an ugly memory. I urge you to support your favorite culinary haunts offering take-away and delivery service. And tip the staffs copiously. They are working hard to bring us the foods we love. We want these places to still be around once we are able to again roam free.

No comments:

Post a Comment