Sunday, July 7, 2024

Who's a Good Boy? - Remembering An Old Friend

Where is my treat, Steve?
“It seems that nature has given dog to man for his defense and his pleasure,” Voltaire wrote in his Dictionnaire philosophique (1764).  “Of all the animals it is the most faithful: it is the best friend a man can have.”  Morgan was truly that and so much more.

Today would have been his 17th birthday.  Morgan was a wonderfully intelligent and equally goofy black lab who passed away last year shortly after turning 16.  He did not belong to us, but rather to our oldest friends in the area.  We knew him since he was a puppy and we always enjoyed him when we visited our friends.  He loved everybody and Morgan became a dear friend for life. 

When one of our friends passed away much too soon in 2015, Morgan lost his best friend, and since his mom worked, he was often left home by himself.  Not long thereafter I developed some mobility issues and so I began to visit Morgan, spending some time with him and keeping him company.  He afforded me unconditional love and companionship when I needed it the most.  The bond was sealed forever.

Morgan frequently visited our house and quickly made himself completely at home.  He would spend several weeks at a time with us, including two Christmas holidays, when his mom was visiting family out of state.  He was true blue loyal and followed me everywhere I went although I often suspected he was hoping something tasty might fall on the floor, or that I would give him a treat if he is a good boy (he was always a good boy!).  He had me completely wrapped around that constantly wagging tail.  

Morgan remained a frequent visitor throughout the long months of sheltering at home during the Covid-19 pandemic, and his presence was particularly soothing.  There was nothing better than to have him at my side when I was working in my study, or at my feet when reading in my easy chair in the den.  But he was beginning to show his own age and we both hobbled about and commiserated with each other. 

He lived a long life, a good life, and it was hard to watch as he grew older and more infirm.   But the time came like it does for all of us, and it was so hard to say good-bye to an old friend.  But his spirit lives on in all those who came to know and love him as much as I did, if such a thing was even possible. 

He was always a good boy.  I miss you old friend! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment